It’s Summer and There’s so Much to Talk About
Written by Nancy Strader, Executive Director, Compass
It’s summer and there is so much change in the air. The sun is shining, flowers are blooming, hope is beaming almost everywhere. Like most places, life has looked a little different here at Compass. And like many, we had to pray for ways we could continue to show up, with hope, for those desperately in need of a caring heart and a practical helping hand. Coming out of 2020 has been full of challenges, growth, perspective, emotions, and other things but the thing I want to to tell you about is how many new things are happening here at Compass.
- Since winter we have hired not one but two additional part-time staff, Nicole as Client Care Coordinator and Angie as Assistant Director.
- We have resumed more in-person operations and services (as long as COVID-19 cases stay down) (though virtual is still an option for clients and likely always will be now)
- We have freshened up the center hoping folks feel the comfort and peace whenever they’re at our space.
- Since November 2020, we’ve onboarded more volunteers in that period than ever.
- The board worked diligently to review and guide Compass (like they always do!). Now, we have updated mission, vision, values, and philosophy statements.
- A huge win of this new year is our new advertising strategy for ads on Google. The ads are performing almost 100% better than before. This is the main way we reach new clients and we are seeing an increase of women calling and making appointments.
- In years past, we’ve been able to hold our annual fundraiser, “Evening of Hope;” an evening where we shared stories, broke bread together, worshiped with one another, and raised funds for those we serve. We had to get creative during these uncertain times in order to continue our mission. So, we decided to change our annual evening of hope into a virtual “Week of Hope.” A 7-day online fundraising event with the same heart, posture, and hope in mind. Our ask was big! Our goal: $75,000. Our prayer? That our God who is able, would (continue to) do far more abundantly than all that we ask or think (Ephesians 3:20). And that YOU, would come alongside us and walk with us as we share the love of Christ. Though we didn’t reach our goal in its entirety, we reached more friends not just in our community, but also from around the globe.
- And looking forward, we’ll be looking at hiring a new Executive Director. I plan to move out of town this summer. Compass is a special place of hope where life is cherished and people find support, information, and resources. It will take a special leader full of passion for this mission and vision for the future to lead us forward. Details about the job opening are at www.compsswomen.org/jobs or call 304-212-2131.
See there’s so much going on, and I’m so thankful for all the support in all forms. I’m so excited about the new clients. And I’m amazed by God’s goodness and grace.
We are continuing to share our hope and will continue to pray that God would use us to reach the one. The one He calls us to serve. The heart He loves so deeply. The heart’s He reminds us that He died for.